In order for your ecobee4 to work with Alexa Voice Service, you must register your ecobee device. Registration also allows you to control your ecobee4 remotely (through the mobile app or web portal), enable 3rd party Alexa Skills and connect your ecobee4 with other smart home integrations like SmartThings or IFTTT.
Follow these steps to register your ecobee4:
1. Enter your network and password.
2. You’ll be given a registration code. Use that code to register your ecobee on the mobile app or online at ecobee.com
3. Accept the terms and conditions and enter your personal information to register your ecobee account.
4. Set up your Weather on your ecobee.
5. Set your location.
6. Select to use HomeIQ and enter your building’s details.
7. At this point you will be prompted to set up Alexa Voice Service – it is important to Sign into Amazon in order to enable Alexa voice service. Click or tap Sign into Amazon now.
(IMPORTANT: If you skip this step, you will not be able to speak to your ecobee4) [NOTE that you can use your existing Amazon.com account to enable the service. You do not have to create a new account]
You will be taken to the Amazon.com sign in page in another tab/window.
Enter your email or mobile number and password.
Once you sign in you will automatically return to the ecobee registration page with a message indicating “Successful” connection.
If the connection is successful, your ecobee4 will greet you with a “hello”. You can now try speaking to your ecobee4.
You will receive a confirmation of your registration on the thermostat. You can also see that Alexa Voice Service is linked through the web portal and the mobile app.