This message means that your ecobee4 is having trouble communicating with the Alexa Voice Service. When this happens, the Alexa microphone icon on your ecobee may also display a question mark.
This is usually due to a poor Wi-Fi connection which you can check by going into MAIN MENU > ABOUT > WI-FI > SIGNAL STRENGTH.
To restore communication to Alexa Voice Service, please try the following troubleshooting procedures:
Reboot the thermostat
1) Remove the ecobee4 from the wall by gently pulling the front face plate part from the back plate part. If you are having trouble getting a grip, place your thumb on the bottom part of the thermostat and your four fingers on the top
2) Wait roughly 30 seconds, and then reattach the thermostat face plate to the wall
3) Allow the ecobee to reboot and reconnect to Wi-Fi. This process will take a few minutes. If your ecobee does not automatically connect back to your Wi-Fi network, go to MAIN MENU > SETTINGS > WI-FI > NETWORK and connect manually
Once this is done, try and talk to Alexa again.
Unlink and relink your Amazon account
If Alexa is still saying “Sorry, I need a minute” after a reboot, it may be necessary to unlink and then relink your Amazon account to and from your ecobee account.
You can unlink and relink your account from either the ecobee app or the Web Portal.
On the ecobee app:
1) Tap the microphone icon on the bottom right
2) Tap “Unlink Alexa”, and tap “Unlink” again to confirm. The microphone icon will now be displayed with a slash through it indicating Alexa is unlinked
3) Tap the microphone icon again, then tap “Set Up Now”
4) Sign into your Amazon account by tapping “Sign Into Amazon”
5) Sign in using your Amazon credentials to complete the re-linking process
On the Web Portal:
1) Login to https://www.ecobee.com
2) Click the “Alexa Voice Service” tile on the Web Portal
3) Click “Unlink Alexa”, and then click the “Unlink Alexa” button in the bottom right to complete the unlinking process
4) Click the “Alexa Voice Service – Unlinked” tile on the Web Portal
5) Click “Next.” You will be prompted to sign in with your Amazon credentials to complete the linking process
If Alexa still responds with “Sorry, I need a minute” after rebooting your thermostat and unlinking/relinking Alexa, please contact ecobee Support at 1-877-932-6233 for further troubleshooting.