Setting up a Home
The HomeKit system is centered around three types of locations: Rooms, Zones, and Homes. Rooms, such as "Living Room” or “Bedroom,” are the basic organizational concept and may contain any number of accessories. Zones are collections of Rooms, such as “Upstairs.”
Users must specify at least one Home to use as the location of their accessories. Each Home contains Rooms, and can optionally contain Zones. Rooms and Zones make it easy for users to find and control their accessories. Apps should provide ways to create, name, modify, and delete Homes, Rooms, and Zones.
If a person has multiple homes, allowing them to specify a default Home enables faster setup and configuration of new accessories.
- To access your HomeKit configuration from, the Thermostats page, tap the menu icon at the top right then select Manage HomeKit configuration.
- Creating a new Home, Zone, or Room starts at the Homes page in your HomeKit configuration:
- To create a Zone:
- On the Homes page tap the “+” button at the top right. Select Add Zone.
- Provide a name and assign it to a Home.
- To create a Room:
- On the Homes page tap the “+” button at the top right. Select Add Room.
- Provide a name and assign it to a Home and/or Zone.
- Zones, Rooms, and Accessories may be moved within a home or removed from your configuration at any time:
- Navigate to their location within your HomeKit configuration
- Tap on the “edit” button.