If you have issues creating automations or controlling your ecobee through the Home app when you're not at home, there are a few things to consider.
1) Make sure that your Apple TV or iPad is:
- Connected to the Internet and on the same Wi-Fi network as your ecobee
- Updated with the latest version of tvOS or iOS
- Signed into iCloud with the same Apple ID with two-factor authentication enabled
2) Make sure that your device is set up as a home hub:
- Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud
- Make sure that your Apple TV shows HomeKit as “Connected”
- If you don’t see HomeKit, then your Apple TV isn’t connected as a home hub and you will need to set it up
- Go to Settings > Home
- Make sure that “Use this iPad as a Home Hub” is turned on
- If your iPad is not set up as a home hub, you will need to set it up
3) See if you can control your ecobee in the Home app on your iOS device
Open the Home app and try adjusting the temperature. Are the changes you make in the app going through to the thermostat?
- Restart your Apple TV/iPad as well as your iPhone and then try adjusting the temperature in the Home app again
- Try signing out of your iCloud account on your Apple TV/iPad, then signing back in by going to Settings > Accounts > iCloud
If you’re still unsuccessful, please reach out to our Support team at 1-877-932-6233 for further assistance. Agents are available from 8:00AM-12:00AM EST Monday through Friday and from 9:00AM-9:00PM Saturday through Sunday.