Please note - geofencing is also natively supported on iOS via Apple HomeKit and on Android via the ecobee app.
For instructions on how to setup geofencing via Apple HomeKit, click here
For instructions on how to setup geofencing via the ecobee app for Android, click here
To setup geofencing through IFTTT, you'll need to do the following:
- Create an IFTTT account at https://ifttt.com/ or via the IFTTT app. *You can download IFTTT for iOS by clicking here or IFTTT for Android by clicking here
- Allow IFTTT permission to access your ecobee account and your mobile device's location services
Once you have an IFTTT account and you are logged in to the IFTTT app, turn on location services on your mobile device and do the following:
1) Tap the "My Applets" icon in the bottom right corner of the screen
2) Tap the "Add Applet" icon in the top right corner
3) Tap "+this"
4) Tap the "Search services" field and search for "Location", then tap the Location icon
5) Allow the IFTTT app to access your mobile device's Location services by tapping "Connect." If you have previously given permission, you can skip this step
6) Select a trigger. This will determine when the IFTTT Applet triggers and the command is sent to your thermostat (when you enter the area, when you leave the area, or when you enter OR leave the area)
7) Confirm the radius location is correct. If you need to change the geofence location, tap "Edit location" and then enter an address in the address bar above or drag the Location pointer around to the location you desire. Once you are done, tap the checkmark icon in the top right
8) Tap "+that"
9) Tap the "Search services" field and search for "ecobee," then tap the ecobee icon
10) Select the action that will be sent to your ecobee once the geofence triggers. For instance, you may want to select "Set thermostat comfort setting until next transition" and then choose Away to set your thermostat into "Away and Holding" mode when you leave the geofence, and you may want to choose "Resume thermostat program" to cancel the Away and Holding hold when you enter your geofence
11) Allow the IFTTT app to access your ecobee account tapping "Connect." If you have previously given permission, you can skip this step
12) Set the parameters for the action you wish to send to your thermostat when the geofence triggers, such as the temperature you wish to hold, the Comfort Setting you wish to hold, or the time duration. If you have multiple thermostats, tap "Thermostat Name" to specify which thermostat IFTTT will communicate with. Tap the checkmark icon in the top right when you are done
13) Tap "Finish"