ecobee thermostats are more than just a smart thermostat - and all you have to do is ask.
This FAQ page is a great starting place for your Alexa-related questions. Unsure which ecobee devices have built-in Alexa? Not sure what skills are? Alexa not responding? Keep reading to find out!
For a full list of Alexa commands you can use with your ecobee device, please take a look at this in-depth article.
For our article concerning Alexa Communication (calling, messaging, etc.) with SmartThermostat with voice control, please read this article here.
If you are looking to troubleshoot Alexa issues (for example if you are getting a "Sorry, I need a minute" response) then head over to the Troubleshooting Alexa page.
This article applies to all ecobee thermostats except Smart, Smart SI, EMS and EMS SI.
What ecobee devices have Alexa built-in?
The following ecobee products have built-in Alexa:
SmartThermostat with Voice Control
Do ecobee devices work with Amazon Echo?
Yes! The ecobee4 and the SmartThermostat with Voice Control are built-in Alexa devices, while the ecobee3 and ecobee3 lite are compatible with your Amazon Echo and Dot devices.
To connect your ecobee device to your Amazon Echo or Dot, follow these steps:
- Open up your Amazon Alexa app.
- Select the 'Devices' icon in the bottom right corner.
- Select 'Your Smart Home Skills.'
- At the bottom of the screen, press 'Enable Smart Home Skills.'
- Tap the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of the screen and type in ecobee.
- You will see two options - 'ecobee plus' and 'ecobee.' We want to enable both. Select them one at a time and then tap 'Enable to Use.'
- A link account window will pop up. Sign in with your ecobee account credentials.
- Select Accept under the Authorize App screen.
- Your ecobee account is now successfully linked to your Smart Home!
- Select Discover Devices or say "Alexa, discover devices" to discover your ecobee thermostat.
Can I change the wake word on my ecobee with built-in Alexa like I can on my Amazon Echo?
At this point in time, ecobee devices with built-in Alexa only support the "Alexa" wake word. We will let you know if this changes in the future!
Linking ecobee and Alexa
Enabling Alexa on your ecobee4 and SmartThermostat with Voice Control
Enabling Alexa on your ecobee4 and SmartThermostat with Voice Control involves linking your Amazon account to your ecobee account either through the ecobee app or through the ecobee.com Web Portal.
Before proceeding, ensure you have the following:
- An ecobee4 or SmartThermostat with Voice Control that's registered and connected to Wi-Fi.
- An Amazon account. If you don't have an Amazon account, you can create one for free on Amazon's website.
- The ecobee app, or access to ecobee.com through your web browser.
Enabling through the app:
- Select the device you will be enabling Alexa on.
- Select the microphone icon in the bottom left corner.
- Tap the green 'Sign in with Amazon' button.
- Enter your Amazon account email and password.
- Press 'Allow' so your ecobee4 or SmartThermostat with Voice Control can access Alexa Voice Service.
- While near the thermostat, say "Alexa, discover devices." If you are not at the thermostat location currently, you can do this step later.
- Tap 'Done' and that's it! Congratulations - you're all linked up!
Enabling through the web portal:
- Log in to the web portal via ecobee.com with your registered username and password.
- Click the tile that says Alexa Voice Control: Unlinked.
- Click Next.
- You’ll be prompted to sign in to your Amazon account to allow permission to link your Amazon and ecobee accounts.
- Click Done. Congratulations - you're all linked up!
NOTE: You'll need to "Discover Devices" for Alexa to recognize your ecobee4. To discover devices, say "Alexa, discover devices" to your ecobee4's speaker. If you are not near your thermostat at the time, you can always complete this step later.
Using your Alexa Device
My ecobee has a blue bubble icon on the screen and is making a sound. What does it mean?
This icon indicates that there are notifications from Alexa on your Amazon Alexa account. To listen to your notifications, say "Alexa, what did I miss?" or "Alexa, read my notifications."
To clear your notifications and remove the blue bubble icon from your screen, say "Alexa, clear my notifications," or "Alexa, delete all of my notifications."
How far away can I talk to my ecobee4 and SmartThermostat with Voice Control?
Your ecobee4 and SmartThermostat with Voice Control use far-field voice technology. This means that you can talk to your thermostat from anywhere in the room and Alexa will understand you. It's natural and intuitive - and we actually recommend being further than one foot away from your Alexa device for the best voice recognition and understanding.
Do my ecobee and my Amazon Echo need to be on the same Wi-Fi network?
How do I configure my device settings on the Alexa app? (location, time zone, units)
From there you can change your ecobee’s location, select the region, time zone and the measurement units.
What are Alexa Skills?
Once the ecobee and ecobee plus skill trees are enabled, Alexa can connect with your thermostat and you will now be able to control your ecobee completely through voice controls, allowing for a hands-free experience!
The blue light pipe isn’t glowing when I say “Alexa” – what do I do?
You may also want to try moving closer to your ecobee and make sure you’re saying “Alexa” clearly.
How does push to talk work?
My ecobee is flashing a green light! What do I do?
My thermostat is named ‘My ecobee′ but Alexa doesn’t seem to understand it.
How do I stop Alexa from listening? Is there a Privacy Mode?
From there, just select “Microphone OFF.”
How do I remove/ unlink Alexa from my ecobee account?
Unlinking from the app:
Under your Home, select the device you will be unlinking from Alexa. Tap the microphone icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. Once on the Audio screen, select the 'Unlink Alexa' option at the bottom. Confirm this by selecting 'Unlink' in the pop-up.
Unlinking from the web portal:
Login to the ecobee web portal and select the Alexa Voice Control tile
On the left side of the Alexa Voice Control Menu, select 'Unlink Alexa.' Then confirm by pressing the button in the bottom right to unlink the accounts.