As of app version 7.48, ecobee Haven now supports Smoke Alarm Detection for Smoke Alarms!
This feature is compatible with smoke alarms that use a T3 sound pattern. A T3 smoke alarm is a smoke alarm that emits three intermittent beeps followed by silence.
What ecobee devices are compatible with Smoke Alarm detection?
The following ecobee devices are compatible with Smoke Alarm detection:
- ecobee SmartCamera with voice control
- ecobee Smart Thermostat with voice control (firmware version 4.6.33 and up)
- ecobee4 (firmware version 4.6.33 and up)
What kind of smoke alarms does the feature detect?
The smoke alarm sound detection feature detects smoke alarms with the standard T3 alarm pattern. The pattern start with 3 beeps and is followed by a silence before repeating.
How do I enable Smoke Alarm detection for my Home?
First, make sure you have the following:
- A subscription to ecobee Haven
- The latest version of the ecobee app (7.48 or higher)
- A compatible ecobee device (ecobee Smart Camera with voice control, ecobee Smart Thermostat with voice control, ecobee4)
- Your ecobee thermostat's firmware version is 4.6.33 or higher
Once you have verified you have the above, select your Home from the app and then do the following:
- Select the monitoring status bar from the Home view
- Tap the gear icon in the top right
- Select Smoke alarm alerts
- Toggle Enable smoke alerts to ON
How can I test that my ecobee device will detect my smoke alarm?
First, ensure you have enabled the smoke alarm detection feature in your app (please see steps above)
Once this is done:
- Go to the home page on the app and set your home into Arm Stay mode or Arm Away mode
- Locate your smoke detector and find the Test button
- Press on the test button to get the alarm to go off for 30 seconds
NOTE: Depending on your alarm, you may need to press the test button twice in a row to get 30 seconds of alarm
You should now have received an ecobee alert notifying you of the smoke alarm your device has heard. The alert comes with a sound recording of what your device has heard so that you can verify the alarm.
I did not get an alert after testing! Why not?
There’s a few possibilities for why you may not have received an alert:
- Your alarm test button might not allow for a continuous 30 seconds of smoke alarm sound to be played. In this case, it won’t be possible for you to complete the coverage test
- Your smoke alarm might not emit the standard 3 tone (T3) alarm pattern and therefore your ecobee device is not able to recognize the alarm as a smoke alarm
- Your ecobee devices might not have heard your alarm due to the distance between your smoke alarm and your compatible device or the existence of loud background noise. Try testing the smoke alarm that is closest to your compatible sound detection ecobee device
The ecobee app says I have no compatible devices for smoke detection!
- Your ecobee Home has an ecobee4, ecobee Smart Thermostat with voice control, or ecobee SmartCamera with voice control in it
- Your ecobee's firmware version is at least 4.6.33 by navigating to Main Menu > About